Dr. Kathleen has a Ph.D. in Family Psychology. She is a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC) in the state of Minnesota and a Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor (RPT-S) through the Association of Play Therapy. She completed her dissertation on Secondary PTSD transmission, and has co-authored a myriad of books and articles on topics such as issues of attachment, grief, loss, and early trauma for children, PTSD, as well as articles on physical and sexual abuse. She developed the HEARTS model of trauma therapy --see HEARTS section.Counseling Training
- Permanency and Adoption Competency Certificate (2017)
- Experiential Play Therapy (2012)
- Theraplay: Level One (2017), Level Two (2019)
- Yoga Calm (2018)
- Somatic Expressions (2018)
- Virtual Reality (2019)
- Certified Clinical Trauma Professional (2020)
- Trust-Based Relational Intervention (TBRI) (2020)
- Master ART (Accelerated Resolution Therapy) Practitioner (2021)
Dr. Kathleen has been counseling children for thirty years. Dr. Kathleen has co-authored six books and has published numerous articles in professional journals and reference books, and is an adjunct professor at the University of Northwestern - St. Paul teaching Counseling Children and Bethel University teaching Neuroscience and Trauma Therapy.Publications: Books
- Amy Elizabeth goes to Play Therapy.
- Caleb’s Healing Story: An interactive story with activities to help children overcome challenges arising from trauma, attachment issues, adoption or fostering.
- A Safe Place for Caleb: An interactive book for kids, teens, and adults with issues of attachment, grief and loss, or early trauma. .
- Allergy Busters: A Story for Children with Autism or Related Spectrum Disorders Struggling with Allergies.
- Sensory Smarts: A Book for Kids with ADHD or Autism Spectrum Disorders Struggling with Sensory Integration Problems.
- Generational Transmission of PTSD in Military Families.